So I set out tonight just to see how I could do. Just a little litmus test for next weekend. When I arrived I was just going to pound the pavement but then spray paint and a mowed track in the grass caught my eye. I decided to give it a try. Obviously the High School had created a Cross Country training trail or something...so I followed it.
I have no idea how far I actually ran but it seemed far as I went clear up the hill and back again at the park. But see, it didn't matter. I was following the trail and I had no idea where I was going and discovering where I was going was the best part. It kept my mind off running and on going and going and going. I couldn't wait to find out where I'd end up. I never stopped, although I felt tired. It was absolutely the best run I've ever had. Hands down...I think I may have stumbled upon something here.
See, it wasn't about the distance, the speed or even following the circle around to be sure I was getting all my distance in...it was about running without concern of my destination or my stats. It was running in its purest form and something I'd never experienced.
Plus, frankly, I think it was smoother for me because I wasn't pounding a hard surface. I feel great!
So I came home and I looked up trail running and sure enough...there are people out there that do this and I'm seriously considering training for this run: http://www.tatur.org/LMTR.html It's at Lake McMurtry. I don't know if I'll have the guts to do it alone and I'm not sure I'll have anyone to come with me if I don't...but it intrigues me.
So next stop...definitely OK Runner in Norman. I'm thinking I must seek new shoes as a possible help!
But in the mean time, I have something new to enjoy. I'll be back on Monday morning to hit that trail again. I have no idea what I'm doing but I sure did enjoy myself!
Happy Running!
No comments:
Post a Comment