Well, I never dreamed that I would end up (probably) walking most of RFTC. But here I am a year later after starting training and I'm going to be doing just that. But all is not lost. Granted, I'm fighting shin splints yet again...but I will be completing my first race regardless. And I cannot wait to catch the bug...I have heard so many good things about this RACE!
My goal next is to take a jaunt over to OK RUNNER in Norman and see if they can help me out. There's gotta be a way around this pain. I've done physical therapy, laid off running, purchased custom orthotics and everything...and my last resort is replacing the shoes.
I'm working harder to wear my orthotics each day b/c Doc said I needed to let my bones realign and I'm okay with the ellip. It's not my favorite but it'll do. My good friend AN is helping remember!
My new eating plan has not been followed strictly but I feel better and am doing better at choosing better foods for fuel. I can tell a huge difference in energy levels and outlook now that I'm focusing more on foods that are full of fuel rather than carbs. Not that all carbs are bad. Read the book for yourself. I'm doing the New Atkins.
Again, I'm not following it staunchly. I don't do staunch, stringent or anything in my life with an ounce of rigidity. Some would say I'm not being disciplined. But for something to really become a part of my life, I have to swim around in it for quite awhile...and really integrate it as a lifestyle change rather than just a set of rules that I will inevitably break. I assure you my rebellious spirit gets the best of me more often than not and I've learned to cope!
So my newest goal is new shoes. Granted none of this will change next weekend's outcome...but I'm moving forward. I still desperately want to be able to run again...I still desperately miss it...but I'm still fighting and I'm not giving up.
This brings me to what I've realized most this past 2 weeks...change takes time. It's a step at a time, it's a day at a time, it's a mile at a time...you can't expect yourself to just overhaul your life and be able to be successful in all areas that you're striving for. No, it's quite the opposite...one day at a time is best, I was never very accepting of any change, good or bad...and having had to battle it out with my limitations over the last year I've seen, I may not be where I want to be, but I'm still moving forward and that's what is really most important.
Whatever you are, be a good one. - Abraham Lincoln
Happy Running, Folks!
No comments:
Post a Comment