Been listening again to my inner tortoise and inner hare and to TM. TM suggested I think too much when I run which is why I can't seem to figure out my speed need. Meaning: Slow down, go faster...where's the problem lying as far as my pain, my groove?
She only suggested the first part to be completely honest and she wasn't being mean, she was dead on and laughing with me as she said it.
But she was right!
Tuesday I did a run...'feeling' and not 'thinking'. I let myself bump up past 4.5 to where I like to be, in the 5 range. It was more comfortable, less painful in my lower legs and more pleasant...but I couldn't grab all the distance I wanted....again, with the distance!
So I've been teetering. Had an awesome run Wednesday night because I knew the winter weather was going to prevent me from running my every other day (I'm really big into muscle recovery, gotta take care of me so I can do this for as long as I so desire)....and again, I let myself really go at the end of my run. I flat out did the run! I gradually built my speed and by the last mile, I was getting in my 5 zone where I like to be. It was more enjoyable, again! Not to mention the fact, that I ran a full 3 (with only a short 3 minute breather/walk) in the middle, making my grand total 4 miles when you add my walk and ellip distance. I was very pleased with myself. There's that CELEBRATION moment Bingham talks about.
I know I'm overthinking and maybe I just need to allow the speed and shorten my distance and build my endurance that way...but there's one thing that keeps eating at me.
The fact that some of this...has to be my form! See, there's just no reason to have the lower leg pain I have. I know inherently that something is wrong. And recently as I posted, I thought about going to an orthopedist. I've looked into better orthotics, I've taken mine out, I've considered and reconsidered options...and I'm switching shoes every other run. All great places to start...but not the true fix, I can feel it in my gut. Seriously!
So I started messing around today on Google since we're ICED in and stumbled upon two main schools of thought (that the truth be told I think have many similarities). I am sure there are thousands of ways to run but these two seem awfully popular...and after some time reading...I'm thinking I'm going to start with the Chi Running Method. I like the philosophy behind it even if it isn't all true TAI CHI as some reviews say, so what?I like the idea, the concept. The Pose Method seems very technical...I'm feeling more inner self about running rather than mechanical or performance driven (in terms of speed/time anyway)...if you know what I mean.
Here are the links:
Chi Running
Pose Method of Running
Take a look-see for yourself! Let me know your thoughts, resources and what not on form!
Happy Running!
No comments:
Post a Comment