Monday, January 4, 2010

Pace Yourself

My friend and fellow running entrepeneur AN...always picks a word for her New Year's resolution as a theme for her year. This year she chose "Change". Her POST was inspiring for me. I chose a phrase because as I told her, I'm too wordy for my own good of "PACE YOURSELF".

And just like AN, I'm going to post the definition of PACE:

Definitions of pace on the Web:


the rate of moving (especially walking or running)

footstep: the distance covered by a step; "he stepped off ten paces from the old tree and began to dig"

walk with slow or fast paces; "He paced up and down the hall"

the relative speed of progress or change; "he lived at a fast pace"; "he works at a great rate"; "the pace of events accelerated"

go at a pace; "The horse paced"

measure (distances) by pacing; "step off ten yards"

tempo: the rate of some repeating event

regulate or set the pace of; "Pace your efforts"

I've highlighted my faves. Funny how the horse falls in there. I know, I know. The horse, the horse of course. But he's there in my mind. Sometimes, I do my mind's eye thing and pretend the tready is him. I miss him. I do.

Let me post a pic so you can see how handsome he was or is....I hope he's with JC. I do.




Okay so I'm going to keep from crying now and just go back to what I was talking about.  Anywho...I warned you this blog was gonna be weird.

Pace Yourself is for my life and my running. It's about the distance like I said. It's a sort of metaphor for my life. I know it has to be for other people too...because well, life is a journey.

But I find that I tend to have this Tasmanian Devil approach to life at times which just zaps out all the good and pure things about it. I get so wrapped up in accomplishing, I miss the good stuff. You know?

With my husband, with my kids, with my ministry at church, with my friends, with my house....with everything. I had already felt God calling me yet again to edit some things out of my life and to focus on what He's called me to focus on just this past summer. Let me throw this quote at you real quick:

God is too good and too wise to give us conflicting obligations. Every obligation from God is perfectly compatible with every other obligation that comes from God.

-Ann Dunagan

Got that from my friend (AB). She's a social worker...I love to hear her talk about it but I don't miss it.

Anyway...so editing is the name of the game this year and I've already set that into motion. However, running and God has shown me this because He wants me to run, he put it in me as my friend (AL) told me...but He also wants me to find balance - which I am striving for.

I was telling R last night...when I run and since I've been running, life seems to sort of fall into place for me. I seem to be learning so much from doing it and life seems better because of it. I'm learning to really pace myself.

Pace my day. Pace my patience, pace my attitude, pace my junk to do around the house...and on and on and on. That's all for now. Cannot wait to hit the tready today. Been tracking my runs and all on my active trainer free online tracking thingy, that site is cool!

Happy Running!

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the quote
    "God is too good and too wise to give us conflicting obligations. Every obligation from God is perfectly compatible with every other obligation that comes from God."-Ann Dunagan and I think I'm gonna have to borrow it for a status update on FB. Very challenging. Thanks MKS!

    ReplyDelete