Saturday, January 2, 2010

Pump It

Something else I learned from the other woman at the gym the other day...let's call her ponytail lady...I want a ponytail! :) Anyway...she is strength training. Which I'll admit I want to do but have been lazy about doing so far.

But I promise you, when I got off the mill yesterday, I was ready to get on a machine for legs, the only one I like, no I do not know the name of it (sorry) and well, it was stacked up with about six 45 lb weights. I kid you not.

Let me just vent for a moment and sound spoiled and very EGOCENTRIC (my biggest pet peeve). There are a lot of men that work in the weight area which is in the same room with the ellips, treadys, etc. That's cool, it's fine but they don't re-rack their weights despite the signs that say RE-RACK your weights please. So I saw that and no one on the machine and bless this little red headed (well, he's not little) high school kid that I always see, I didn't want to ask him again to help me. That's a lot of weight Folks! So I left it.

Well, I went to stretch and came back, ponytail lady was on the machine. I thought, good on ya! She was doing the reps at a low weight and she inspired me. I will go back and do that after my next run. After research aka Yuri and few other sites and talking to a cyclist friend of mine...I've determined that yes, some strength training would be good. I need the muscle mass (is that possible with my little no calf muscle legs) to prevent the injury and well, while it's cold, what better way to burn off some cabin fever. I do dislike the winter. I mean, really, really dislike th winter.

So I'm going to more than likely download Yuri's strength training Ebook for runners. I've looked around and there are some books available from Runner's World and what not. But I like Yuri so much I'm feeling some loyalty.

Here's the link to his book:  Strength and Conditioning for Runners

I do love me some Yuri!

Will run tonight...cannot wait.

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment