So in my searching, you gotta love Google, I found a book entitled "No Need for Speed: A Beginner's Guide to the Joy of Running" by John "The Penguin" Bingham. I've buzzed through the first several chapters as of last night and I'm loving it.
Let me peak your interest with his breakdown/philosophy:
He calls it his "Circle of Success"....rather than a linear approach to running...I liked this!
1. Inspiration
2. Perspiration
3. Dedication
4. Celebration
Now, I could sit here and type it all out but I'm not going to. Go by the library and find a copy or for goodness' sake, you could...GOOGLE it maybe.
I was intrigued and very encouraged to read he is an "adult-onset athlete" (this terminology made me smile)...started at 43 years of age, said he was 80 lbs overweight, a smoker, a drinker, etc....couch potato. He takes the same view I do...just one day at a time. He tells you to do it for you and let the rest of the benefits add themselves as you go along.
He also addresses the issue of those of us who were not athletic for one reason or another growing up and how we need to "exorcise our NOTS" before we exercise. Interesting.
I really got to thinking about that last night after I put the book down.
See, I was a little scrawny thing back in the day. Skin and bones, freckles, red hair, the whole nine.
One time I did get picked to run 'alternate' for the 50 yard dash in elementary school. I couldn't believe it, I didn't know why. No, I didn't run but it was confusing for me...I was too skinny and too little to amount to anything, right? At least that's what I felt.
I didn't do well with basketball. Soccer: I always got hit in the head with the ball even when I wasn't playing at recess. Seriously, this happened more than once, I still have issues over it. I had ice skated...not so much although L took to it like a fish to water.
I did play softball one year, I liked it. But not enough to do it again. Did play volleyball in school because we had to. I was always on the lower teams...like C or D rather than A or B, of course. I hate to say this but serving the ball hurt my wrists...they were tiny and still are...and thin skinned. Tried tennis lessons...uh, again the wrists. I even did Spirit Squad which I did like but I think they had to take everybody...all my friends were doing it, so why not?
I have to add there was also the issue of other people counting on me. I told you I wasn't a team player, I didn't want to disappoint and well, I didn't want to be disappointed by them either. Sad...but very true.
And then after years of loving horses (a love that started from the time I knew what they were), I started riding lessons in Junior High and I unlocked something...granted I think the horse being the 'athlete' helped me but it gave me self-confidence and drive and so I quickly wanted to absorb everything I could. I read oodles of books...and under Evelyn Zembrod, I learned the basics of riding and worked towards learning the art of dressage even though I wanted to do hunter/jump. Thanks Mom and Dad for letting me live that dream!
Evelyn taught me everything from breathing (I forget to breathe when I'm intense, still do) to grooming, to cleaning stalls, to cleaning tack...she truly was amazing. But after falling in love with the Arabian breed and buying a compact power house like Abi, there was no hunt/jump in my future, which frankly was fine...it sort of scared me. That whole leaving the ground thing...and landing. I'd seen some scary falls! I soon discovered however, it was more about me and him and what WE wanted to do, much like I feel about running. It wasn't about learning something and doing it for others or even to compete.
All this to say...I now realize...the running (part of it anyway) is finally me accepting that just maybe, just maybe I do have an inner athlete. He talks about this in the book in his chapter entitled "Tied in Nots". It was very encouraging to see that it's okay to start where I am and just to follow the ebb and flow of my journey with running. He also mentions 'keeping the faith' about running. Also very encouraging. All the emotions, thoughts and inner struggles are apparently normal. Good to know I think.
"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham
This is good stuff. Really good, good stuff. I recommend the read, it's light and easy...and practical. I love practical.
I've heard him speak at a lot of TNT events. He's absolutely entertaining!
ReplyDelete